Prune, Apple and Chestnut Bread Pudding
Hearty bread pudding that’s nutritious and delicious
- 3 cups of Arrowhead Mills Organic Savory Herb Stuffing
- 2 cups of half and half
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage leaves, cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3/4 Hain Ionized sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb of pancetta, cubed
- 2 cups of onion diced
- 1lb granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups jarred, steam peeled chestnuts, crumbled
- 1 cup celeriac, diced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 11/2 cups Imagine Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup packed, prunes, pitted and halved.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Butter a 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together half and half, eggs and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (Reserve remaining cheese).
- Soak package of stuffing in the egg mixture., with 1/2 cup of the cheese in custard. Set aside.
- Place pancetta on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until pancetta fat has rendered, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, keeping 2 tablespoons of the fat, and transfer it to a large skillet over a medium high heat.
- Add apples, onions, chestnuts, celeriac, sage and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and bring to a boil until the liquid reduces to syrup, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring back to a boil.
- Place skillet in oven and cook until celeriac and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 325° F.
- Fix prunes into apple mixture, stir in pancetta, parsley and custard mix, transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle over remaining cheese.
- Cover with buttered foil, bake until pudding is puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Other great ideas for Arrowhead Mills Organic Cornbread or Savory Herb Stuffing
- A great breading for chicken, pork or fish—simply pulse in food processor or blender until a fine crumb is formed.
Five Simple steps to a delicious chicken/fish dinner:
- Place 1/2 cup of flour on a plate. Add salt & pepper and mix.
- Place 1 egg or egg white in a wide bowl (big enough to hold a chicken breast—low sided pasta plate/bowls work great for this), add a bit of water and beat for a minute or so.
- Place the prepared Arrowhead Mills bread crumbs on a separate plate.
- Salt & pepper your meat, cover both sides with flour, dip in egg wash and then coat with crumbs.
- Sauté in olive oil until done. Serve sliced over salad, rice or spinach sautéed with cranberries, pine nuts and a bit of lemon for a quick healthy meal.
- The perfect crouton for salads.
- Excellent topping for baked pasta dishes such as macaroni & cheese.