- Gluten Free
- Our Standards
- About Us
- ¾ cup Arrowhead Mills® Rye flour
- ¾ cup Arrowhead Mills® all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant dried yeast
- 1 ½ cup water at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup Arrowhead Mills® all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Arrowhead Mills rye flour
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Additional oil, rye flour for kneading
To make sponge:
- In a large bowl whisk all ingredients together until well combined; set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
To make dough:
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl combine rye and all-purpose flours, caraway seeds, yeast and salt.
- Sprinkle this flour mixture over sponge mixture and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for about 3 to 4 hours to ferment.
- With a dough hook attachment beat the dough for about 2 minutes at low speed then 10 minutes at medium speed.
- Dough should look smooth and elastic. (If kneading by hand turn dough out on to floured board and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic)
- Cover dough and let rest for about 20 minutes then place into a clean, oiled bowl.
- Rub top of dough with a little oil; cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Knead dough for about 5 minutes then return to bowl: cover and let rise for another hour.
- Pre heat oven to 450 o F.
- Shape dough into a loaf shape. Place on an oiled baking sheet. Cut 3 or 4 slits in top of loaf from side to side. Sprinkle with caraway seeds if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450oF then lower temperature to 400oF bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on base.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack.